Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Joy & Blessings Through Living the Gospel

From Elder Paul Freeman, dated April 23, 2008

Dear Family,

This will be the 4th transfer and 6th month serving here in the Samoan wards. I hope to hold out until the end of my mission, another 7 months and 5 transfers, give or take. It all depends on which transfer I choose to go home. At least I think it's my choice. My call says I am anticipated to serve 25 October 06 to 25 October 08. I should be able to choose from the transfer that ends in early October or the transfer that ends in mid November. I'm leaning to November, but am not convinced yet, which is fine because they haven't asked me yet. The only reason I ask is because I want to be ready for when they do ask me. So, if there is any advice or events being planned, please let me know.

But as far as everything else goes, the work still goes on. We are in an exciting time in the history of the world. I can't think of any other time in the world when the gospel has been so wide-spread and so many people are enjoying the blessings it brings. Lately I've been studying the scattering and gathering of Israel and the promises the Lord made to them. Those promises are echoed in everything we do as missionaries, as members of the Church, and as children of our Heavenly Father. The Lord keeps those promises as a standard to live up to, and if we don't he can't follow through and we are no better than when we started.

So many people feel trapped in the lives they lead and can't seem to find their way out. Only the Gospel and its standards can give people the fresh start they need to improve lives. When we are obedient to its laws and ordinances, we have such a tremendous advantage. We can become new people every day, until the day we are called up to answer for they way we spent our time here on earth.

It may feel complicated and impossible, but if the Savior taught anything it was how simple it is. All we have to do is follow Him, and take his yoke upon us because his burden is light. The more people understand that and remember it the more happiness there is to be found in our daily life [and] more understanding for the things we have to suffer through, and a deeper appreciation for what he had to suffer through.

The gospel is great and Heavenly Fathers love is infinite. Thank all of you for your continued love and support.

love,

Elder
Freeman