Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Blessings of Obedience


From Elder Paul Freeman, dated June 18, 2008

Dear Mom,

Everything is going really well. I'm getting adjusted to the new area and it's pretty fun. I've almost forgotten the excitement of being completely unfamiliar with an area and its people. My companion is really cool and helps a lot. We've got a lot of names of people that have been contacted before by the missionaries and we have to follow up with all of them. I guess it's a pretty big area for the regular English wards. There are a lot of less active and part member families. In fact it used to be two wards but one of them got dissolved into the other. The active members are really great though. We are trying to familiarize them with Preach My Gospel, so they can go out and find people for us to teach.

Yesterday, we had zone conference and half the time they talked about being healthy. They emphasized diet and exercise. It really is something I need to focus on. I've gained about 30 lbs since my mission and the cloths aren't fitting anymore. It'll be easier in the palangi ward I just need to focus and be determined. I've got into a habit of stuffing my face at dinners to make the people happy, but the cost was far too great. I've already been taking small steps to get back into better habits, but I've got to step up my game if I want to see any results.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear Adam's house is going up well. That's really exciting, especially considering how the economy is going. We talk to so many people who are having a hard time. It kinda makes the future look a little dim, but I've always been able to rely on the awesome examples my brothers set. Dallas and Lynda getting married is another one. We work with so many people who cant be baptized because they're not married. Maybe there's a correlation. Everyone should just get married and we should see what happens to the economy. That's just my crazy on-the-spot idea.

This transfer we're focusing on Joseph Smith and all the truths that have been restored through him to benefit all mankind. Marriage and strong family values are definitely at the top. I'm so grateful to have such a wonderful family that has exposed me to all of that. I'll always remember it, and I love being able to use that when I teach.

Thanks for everything mom.

Love,

Elder
Freeman