Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Field Is White

From Elder Paul Freeman, dated May 14, 2008

Dear Mom,

Thanks again for the emails and the pictures. I always enjoy seeing what goes on with the family. I was surprised to talk to Alora and Aaron on Sunday. They're growing up so fast.

Thanks also for the advice, I value it a great deal. I'm excited for what the future has to bring, I'm sure you well remember I always have been. But, of course, my future back home won't come for another five months and in the meantime there are dozens of people who need to be baptized. We are actually working with an entire family of 6 who are being prepared to be baptized on the 31st of May. They're all Samoan and their last name is Young. We've been teaching them for a while and hope they will be well prepared.

Being in the Samoan wards here has been such a blessing. There's a little over three weeks left in the transfer and I fear it may be my last in this area. But, whatever happens it will be for the best. I remember what President Tolman said before I was sent back out, and I realize there was a much greater purpose for me to be reassigned here.

I think I share the sentiment of most missionaries when I say this experience has done far more good for me than I could have ever done for someone else. I marvel at the tender mercies given to us by such a loving Heavenly Father, and recognize my purpose is simply to call others to attention of the same in their own lives.

Lately, our appointments with the investigators of our own area have been falling through. So, we resort to street contacting in hopes of finding people for other missionaries to teach. It reminds me also of something else President Tolman said, that I was not set apart as just missionary for a particular mission, but for anywhere. Yesterday, we were blessed to teach 10 lessons and provide 2 solid referrals for our mission. It's my testimony that with a little preparation and following the guidance of the spirit, wonderful things are possible.

Thanks again mom, for everything.

Love,

Elder
Freeman