Sunday, September 28, 2008

Three Weeks

From Elder Paul Freeman, dated September 24, 2008

Dear Mom,

I love being a missionary. Yesterday we went around talking to people looking for someone to teach. We talked to many people and taught many lessons, but no one could see how much this gospel can bless their lives. Last night we talked to a man that had basically pulled himself out of the gutters of LA. He supported his family in a nice home by working cement. He's a tough guy but you could feel his frustration when he talked about losing everything. I wanted more than anything for him to know the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. He flat out rejected it. I told him that if came down to his last ditch effort, that reading the Book of Mormon is what he should do. I don't know if he'll ever consider it. All I know is that if he does, it will change his world around completely for the better. He will have more hope, and more strength, even more love. But, that is a big if.

The rest of the night I thought about how troubled the world is. I longed for nothing more than to see people turn to God in a way they only talk about.
We talked to a young man who said he would never follow a prophet of God at the risk of missing the mark. He said that no man should stand between us and God. Then, when we commited him to read the Book of Mormon, he said he would have to ask his pastor. No wonder the Savior said that they honor him with their lips but their hearts are far from them.

Just know that I am finishing strong. This is the greatest opportunity I have to teach the Gospel. I appreciate every minute of it. I hope you all are doing well and if the power's not on that it will be soon.

May the Lord bless and keep you.

Love,

Elder Freeman