Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Faith Like Ammon & Alma

From Elder Paul Freeman, dated January 30, 2008

Dear Mom,

First, thanks a whole bunch for wrangling that bank account thing. I feel really stupid for having overdrawn like that, and to top it off, I lost my mission bank card and had to order a new one. I thought I was getting better at handling finances, but it looks like there are yet plenty of lessons to learn. But, the good news is that the mission account should be well full when I get my new card. So, don't worry any more about money for me.

We spent several hours in the office on Monday compiling a master list of Samoans in the High Desert to submit to President [Sanchez]. I'm afraid the list only represents about half of the people up there, so the total right now is around 147. That list includes members, less-actives, part-member families, and non-members. There's probably another 100 people or so we haven't met, and that includes congregations of other churches that we know are Samaon.
President told us that we should convert all of them.

I share his ambition.

But, that is easier said than done. First, some of them were previously members but have since left to start up their own church. Second, those churches are how they make their living. President admits that those details complicate the matter, but encourages us still. Something deep down inside me says it will take faith like that of Ammon, Alma, and all those other to get past these seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

What a wonderful opportunity we have! It's exciting and intimidating at the same time. I don't know how successful we will be, or what it will take to bring these people to the Gospel.
On top of that we found two new colonies of Samoan families, the majority of which are Seventh-day Adventist. One in Loma Linda and the other in Highland. They will all be difficult.

However, prayers are being answered and the work is going forth just like the stone cut out of mountain without hands.

Thanks for all of your help and support, especially your prayers. Know that I keep you in mine.
Love,
Elder Freeman