Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Elder Matthew Courtright: transfer!

Matthew Courtright
Date: Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:13 PM
Subject: transfer!


so as the subject might suggest i got transferred. but before i get to that let me give you some back ground

So this week i got to go on exchanges with one of the zone leaders because my companion is the district leader so thats how we roll. the ZL's work in the young single adult branch so i got to meet some of them. One guy is working on putting his papers in. His room mate is not a member but listens to all the lessons. His roommate is also training to be a UFC fighter. he had his first fight on thursday. he won. Anyways, all new missionaries who go to there house have to help him train. what that means is you hold to pads infront of your face and he kicks them....oh my gosh! IF he straight kicked me in the face it would a) hurt more than being stabbed in the shin and b) kill me. The dude was huge. it was so fun. we went to some other appointments that day. On thursday we went to district meeting and then walked back to our house throughout the day stopping for several appointments along the way. I was being stubborn that morning and didnt put on a heavy coat cause i am a Texan and thats how we roll. there were no clouds at night and about 5 the sun went down and it got to -7 degrees. Needless to say i was really cold and possibly (probably) near frostbite. Luckily a member saw us on the way home and picked us up. I sat infront of a fire for an hour before my hands stopped tingling (a painful process) but my thumb didnt regain full feeling until the next afternoon. needless to say, i wont make that mistake again. then on friday night we had dinner with one of the members of the bishopric. his wife, for dessert gave us ice cream (on the same day it snowed 3 inches). this ice cream was really good at first but about half way through i found a fun suprise! peanut butter cups! luckily it got no further than me biting into it. i went to the bathroom for awhile and then we left. we had an appointment later that night which i was so excited for but my stomach was cramping and jumping and all that fun stuff for the rest of the night...which leads to transfers. so i knew that i was getting a transfer like a week before and as the week went on it got more and more obvious. i was hoping for Boulder or Aurora cause they are the crazy cities. However, i got transfered to literally, 5 minutes away. In a neighboring ward in Cheyenne. I am excited for it though. half the ward lives on a military base so thats always fun. and...even better, we get a car! yeah! no more frostbite for me. I told the sister who gave me the ice cream that they were transfering me cause she poisoned me. And quickly told her i was kidding. We had a good laugh for awhile about it. SO thats been my week. Crazy? i think so! We are having alot of success and things are really starting to pick up....as i leave. oh well. i am needed elsewhere

--Elder Courtright