Monday, October 13, 2008

The End of One Chapter, the Beginning of Another

Editor's note:

Dear Reader: This week marks the end of an eight-year saga for the Freeman family, that of experiencing the joy of a son's missionary service. It has been nearly four years since we have not had a son serving a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Words cannot express the great joy and rejoicing I take in the decisions my sons have made to serve the Lord in preaching His Gospel, and I know that service will bless them their entire lives.

The change this will bring about in the lives of the Freeman family will be a significant one. However, I am not removing my eight-year-old 'missionary mom' tag from my key chain just yet. Since the loss of correspondence from my sons leaves a vacancy in this blot, I have recruited a young man in our ward who himself is a convert to the Church. Matt Courtright was baptized when he was about 16 years old (if I understand correctly), and is the only member of the Church in his family. I have watched him grow and mature in the gospel over the past four years and know he will make an outstanding missionary.

Elder Courtright, called to serve in the Colorado Denver North Mission, has graciously agreed to be my surrogate missionary son and I hope I can be of some support to him while he takes these two years to serve the Lord. While he is not in the Tarbet-Neves family and unknown to any but the Freeman branch of it, he is definitely in our ward family, and his contributions, like this blog itself, will continue to share faith-building experiences and hopefully instill in members of the Church a greater zeal for missionary work.

Enjoy.

Penny Freeman