Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Balancing Act

From Elder Paul Freeman, dated April 2, 2008

April 2, 2008

Dear Family,

Sorry, Mom, but I can’t seem to find the cable to hook my camera up to the computer to upload pictures. Elder Hafoka helped me out this morning by taking the pictures, but I couldn’t find the cable this morning. I may have to just send the whole card home in the mail, or get my hands on a card reader and upload pictures next week. Now that I think about it, you should get the card reader and I’ll just send the card home so you could get it before next week. I’ll send it out today even though the card isn’t completely full. It was funny how many pictures we had to take. My companion was trying to get it framed just right and I was worried about the silly looks on my face. You should be happy with at least one of them.*

Anyway, this week was pretty good. We’re trying to strike the right balance of where to focus our efforts. Sometimes, it feels like [we’re] spending too much time with one ward and not enough time with the other. At the same time we’re trying to figure out what to do with all of our investigators up in Victorville and Hisperia. They are all Samoan but don’t speak the language and could benefit a lot from being taught by the missionaries in the English wards. The only thing is, they don’t seem too excited when we talked about it. Even the other missionaries don’t seem to know how to handle it. We’ll end up talking about it with President Sanchez at interviews and he will help sort things out.

In the meantime a lot of neat things are happing down in the Valley. There are plenty of people to teach, especially with both wards combined. The only problem is each ward doesn’t want to have to share missionaries. The hard thing is that missionaries have a rough time finding effective things to do [that] directly affect the ward. Theoretically, you could tract a street in hopes of finding a Samoan to teach, but it’s not going to happen. So, we pretty much operate on member referrals and previous contacts. Any other finding we do usually doesn’t add to our teaching pool.

Everything has a purpose and it will all work out. Elder Hafoka and I are doing everything that we can to progress the work in this area and hopefully it will pay off sometime soon. Thanks for all of your support. Especially the letters. I update you on more next week.

Love,

Elder Freeman

* Editor's note: Elder Freeman refers to pictures requested which we will use to establish a presence at his brother's upcoming wedding.