Friday, January 18, 2008

Free Agency

From Elder Paul Freeman, dated January 16, 2008

Dear Mom,

Thanks for the letter. There isn't a whole lot that I can say about it, just that I hope and pray everything works out for the best.

One of the things I've been learning is not to worry myself about things I have no control over. That mostly comes from recognizing what it is I can't control. It's a fun process.

The best way I get by is to focus on goals for things I know I can accomplish. For instance, I know I can keep the apartment clean, take car of all my laundry and shopping and stuff like that. I also know I can teach so many missionary lessons in a day, how many scriptures I can memorize and other things like that.

Now, the gray area lies in things like my companion waking up on time every morning. I could try forcing him to wake up every morning to accomplish that as a goal. But I know that wouldn't be in keeping with how the gospel requires everyone to make the decisions for themselves. But, at the same time, that doesn't mean I have to give that up as a goal. That's where D&C 121 comes in. The parable of the sower is a good one too.

This isn't meant for advice in reply to your email, so much as a reminder for myself in case I ever forget, which I usually do.

There are some exciting things going on out here. I tell you as more develops.

Thanks again for everything.

Love,
Elder Freeman