Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Transfer Day

From Elder Paul Freeman, dated November 14, 2007.


Dear Family,

Saturday night we got the transfer call. The mission has issued cell phones and disconnect all apartment phones. My companion, our district leader, was the one to get the call. All I heard was him repeat the names of those being transfered. I had the fealing day prior that I would be leaving. Maybe certain circumstances had warn my patience and made being in that area not quite desirable. Perhaps it was pure intuition, coupled with the grindings of the rumor mill. Whatever it was I was anticipating a move, even after only nine weeks in the same area. And, from what I understand about how the work goes in the states, there weren't very many excuses for moving me so soon from such a prosperous area.

So, we had the transfer meeting yesterday and I found out, after earnestly praying in my heart to not hear my name amongst those banished to places like B----- and V-----, that I would be returning to serve in the two Samoan wards of the mission. The short lived relief was promptly followed by a humbling sense of responsibilty. Not only is this the most coveted area of the mission, on acount of the unlimited miles for the car as the area covers all of S---- County and more, but my companion had to be released as zone leader in order for me to come in. Not to mention the heaviness of the expectation and anticipation of members and others who are very much aware of my history. It has been several weeks since I've carried on a conversation in their native language, and I'm kinda freaked out that I won't be able to deliver what they expect. But, at the same time, I know that if I can learn it once, then I can learn it again.

We just moved in to a new apartment in C-----. My companion was released as Zone Leader and two Spanish Elders were called to fill the positions for the R----- Zone. I'm probably most excited about not having to be on bike anymore. It also justifies my spending all that money on the camera.
Sort of.

[a national retailer] messed up the order and they blame [a national shipping service]. I got an email saying that [NSS] will want to look at the box, but my roomates already used it and threw it away. I got the camera, but ordered a memory card to go with it. When I opened the box only the camera was in it. I figured they shipped the card seprate so I was going to wait for it and send an email to [NR] just in case. The card wasn't a big deal, but it's still money. I can understand if they can't do anything about it without the box, so I may end up just returning the camera and getting another one from somewhere else. But, then again they might screw up my return.
Moral of the Story: Don't buy from [NR] Online.

Thanks for all your prayers, love, and support. I will do everything I can to fulfill my duty and make a difference.

Hoping for a More Light-Hearted Letter Soon,
Elder Freeman with lots of love